Writers must read. I am an erratic reader and probably only read about 35 books this year, but this is not about counting. Here are my top three and my turkeys:
My top three from the books I read in 2016 (not in order)
1. The Comet Seekers by Helen Sedgwick
Read my review in Wales Arts Review here: http://www.walesartsreview.org/fiction-the-comet-seekers-by-helen-sedgwick/
2. The Weightless World by Anthony Trevelyan
From the peerless Galley Beggar Press. Completely different, like everything they publish.
3. The Sunlight Pilgrims by Jenni Fagan
My review in Electric Literature is here: https://electricliterature.com/apocalypse-could-be-soon-but-dont-give-up-hope-f3dc129cdb52#.njmkep26b
Three which disappointed me
1. My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
Whether because I read a bad translation or not I struggled. Not as brilliant as hailed.
2. Hot Milk by Deborah Levy
Emperor’s new clothes…
3. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
Needed a good edit.
Happy New Year reading everyone!