There was a time when I didn’t want to join Facebook. Then a writing project wanted its contributors to connect with one another on Facebook so I joined.But I said I would NEVER do Twitter. Then came another writing reason to consider joining it. With no great enthusiasm I did so. Now I’m a fan! Here’s why:
- I’m a writer. I tweet to find new places to submit stories and to promote any publications. I also tweet about the writing successes of others I know, and sometimes of those I don’t know personally, but whose writing I’ve enjoyed. And I receive much-appreciated acknowledgement of my writing, whether in tweets or direct messaging.
- Twitter is the place for breaking news. I often find out about world events here hours and even days before I hear about them on the radio or TV.
- I’ve found, poignantly, that you can offer real support to people in this virtual world. Again, these may be people I don’t know in what we call real life. My experience is that genuine connection is possible this way.
- There are fun things out there.
- I share my daily photograph too. And yes, it is sometimes of food.
Of course there is loads of stuff and s*** on Twitter, but you don’t have to look at it.
Here are ten accounts to follow:
For writing inspiration:
For inspiring people:
For fun and new ideas: